Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thankful. . .


I asked Pat and Rett, what they were thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend, after calling Merry Mount home now for well over a year. Here's what they said:


Rett said:

I am thankful for:
·      How much I love living at Merry Mount! The peace and serenity I feel here is so much more than I expected!

·      The joy I get from my animals, even when it’s freezing cold and I have to go out and take care of them!
·      I love the way my friends love to come here and enjoy MM with us. That we can share our special place with those we love!

·      The wonderful blog that you write and how you’ve chronicled our time here! I love to look back at all of the pictures and fun times we’ve had!
 ·      I love the open space all around me, the big sky, incredible sunsets and sunrises and just all of the beauty. I cold go on and on forever…but you said five.

And Patrick said:
 I’m most thankful for:
·      Rett, who shares my love of MM
 

 ·      Big sky that offers spectacular vistas

·      Seasonal change

 ·      All those who labored at Merry Mount throughout the decades that preceded us
·      Vivi, who has chronicled our year and 4 months.



And I say, CHEERS to Pat and Rett -- I'm thankful to see the pure joy that Merry Mount has brought to their lives, and I'm grateful to be able to share it with them! Rio and Piper have loved it too!

And while we're being thankful, here's an amazing ice cream that I made for my family's Thanksgiving celebration:


Honey Nutmeg Ice Cream  

4 large egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
1 T sugar
dash salt
7 T honey
1 scant t. nutmeg
1 ½ c. half and half

In a med bowl, whisk egg yolks until well combined. Set aside.
In a med saucepan, over med heat, whist together milk, sugar and salt until just steaming. Remove from heat.
Slowly drizzle warm milk into egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to  med saucepan and warm over low heat. Whisk until mixture thickens to consistency of a warm pudding (or until it coats the back of a spoon and you can run your finger through it and make a line). Remove from heat and strain into med bowl. Whisk in honey and nutmeg. Stir until honey dissolves. Stir in half & half. Chill for 4 hours. Churn in ice cream maker. Enjoy!

No comments: